How to make a payment

1. In person 

 We accept cash, cheque and Debit/Interac payments at Town Hall between the hours of 8:30am and 4:30pm Monday to Friday at 5319 50 Avenue | Fort Nelson

2. By mail

Mail your cheque with the payment stub to:

Northern Rockies Regional Municipality | Bag Service 399 | Fort Nelson, BC V0C 1R0

NOTE: Payments must be received at Town Hall on or before the due date printed on the notice/bill. Postmarks are NOT accepted as proof of payment.

3. Online banking

  1. Log into online banking with your financial institution's website. If you do not have online banking, contact your bank to set it up.
  2. Add Northern Rockies Regional Municipality as a payee.
  3. Add the account number located on your bill or invoice in the account number field.
  4. Make a payment as you would normally.
Type of accountAccount numberFormat
*Most systems do not require you to enter any decimal in the account number
Taxes Use your tax roll number 9 digits
Utilities Use your utility account number 11 digits
Accounts Receivable (Bulk water, Landfill, Business Licence) Use your Customer ID 4-9 alphanumeric characters

NOTE: Banks can take two to three business days to process your online payment. Please keep this is mind if you are making a payment near the due date, especially for property tax and utility payments. If payments are received after the due date for taxes and utilities, penalties and interest will apply.

4.  NRRM Finance eServices

Manage all of your accounts in one place with NRRM Finance eServices.

View and pay your property taxes, utility billing and invoices online.

Payment by credit card only.

NOTE: 1% transaction fee for Recovery of Credit Card Fees will be added at the time of your payment.  This fee is used to offset credit card processing fees incurred.

Overdue Accounts

Payments must be received on or before the due date printed on the tax notice or utility bill.  Late payments are subject to 10% penalty.

Utility accounts with outstanding amounts at December 31 will have balances transferred to corresponding property tax account.  The amounts are then subject to provincially-determined rates for arrears.


Water and Sewer

Water, sewer and residential garbage collection services are not billed with property taxes.

Residential utility bills are issued quarterly (4 times per year) in advance, with payment due by the end of the quarter.

Commercial utility bills are issued at the end of each quarter, with payment due by the end of the next quarter.

** if the Due Date falls on a weekend, payment is due on the last business day of that month

Residential Billing and Payment Cycle
Quarter Service Period Billed Due Date**
Quarter 1 January 1 - March 31 First week of January March 31
Quarter 2 April 1 - June 30 First week of April June 30
Quarter 3 July 1 - September 30 First week of July September 30
Quarter 4 October 1 - December 31 First week of October December 31


Commercial Billing and Payment Cycle
Quarter Service Period Billed (Meter Read) Due Date**
Quarter 1 January 1 - March 31 First week of April June 30
Quarter 2 April 1 - June 30 First week of July September 30
Quarter 3 July 1 - September 30 First week of October December 31
Quarter 4 October 1 - December 31 First week of January March 31


Household Water and Sewer Tips

Outdoor Watering Restrictions

Providing clean water to the community is one of the Northern Rockies Regional Municipality's biggest expense. Due mostly to outdoor watering and vehicle washing, this expense doubles in the summer months. In an effort to combat such over-consumption, Regional Council maintains a Water Use Restrictions Bylaw. In accordance with this bylaw:

  • Houses with even-numbered street addresses can water (lawns/gardens etc.) on even-numbered calendar days.
  • Houses with odd-numbered street addresses can water (lawns/gardens etc.) on odd-numbered calendar days.
  • Permitted watering can only occur between the hours of 7:00 am and 11:00 am, and 7:00 pm and 11:00 pm.

These restrictions are actively enforced - fines range from $100 - $500.

EXCEPTIONS to Water Restrictions include:

  • Newly planted trees, shrubs, flowers and vegetables can be watered during installation and for the following 24-hour period.
  • New sod or newly seeded lawn can be watered during the first 7 days after installation on any day – but ONLY during the prescribed watering hours, being 7 am and 11 am, and 7 pm and 11 pm.

What Not to Put Down The Toilet, Drain or Garbage Disposal

FATS, OILS AND GREASE are the biggest problem in our sewer systems today!  These substances solidify and affix themselves to the main.  These “fat blobs” then attract and collect other substances which just add to the size of the blobs, creating blockages and restrictions.  Other items that should not be placed in your drains include:

  • coffee grinds
  • egg shells
  • produce stickers
  • chunks of garbage
  • disposable diapers
  • disposable wipes
  • feminine hygiene products
  • paper towels
  • "flushable" cat litter
  • rags
  • condoms
  • motor oil, transmission fluids, anti-freeze or other toxic chemicals
  • solvents, paints, turpentine, nail polish, polish remover
  • flammable or explosive substances
  • corrosive substances that are either acidic or caustic
  • needles and sharps
  • prescription and over-the-counter medications

The above is just an example of items that should not enter the sewer system.  These are damaging to both private lines and public lines and cause major problems for everyone.

Why Does It Matter What I Put Down My Sewer Drain? 

Any solid matter that you put down the toilet or drainpipe has the potential to cause blockages in both the public sewer and your private service. This can lead to:

  • Raw sewage overflowing in your home or your neighbour's home
  • An expensive and unpleasant cleanup
  • Raw sewage overflowing into yards, and streets
  • Potential contact with disease-causing organisms and
  • An increase in operation and maintenance costs for local sewer departments

Private services (the part of the network between your home and the public sewer) use narrow pipe-work and sometimes have bends in them where solid objects can lodge and cause blockages. It is the responsibility of the homeowner to maintain private drainage systems.